Walsall Deaf People’s Centre
Walsall Deaf Centre is committed to improving the lives of deaf people in Walsall and the surrounding areas.
They provide BSL interpreters and BSL courses. The centre also hosts various social events. Please contact them for further details.
Deaf World has been a registered charity since January 2009 and works in partnership with hearing impaired young people aged between 11 and 25 living in the West Midlands.
The aims of Deaf World are to meet the diverse educational, social, cultural, leisure, training, employment and linguistic needs of the young community. Deaf Word has also worked in partnership with Sandwell and Birmingham youth service provision and Wodensborough School to successfully deliver a programme of activities, for example:
- 5 outdoor activities residential in the Peak District and North Wales
- 2 Vehicle education programmes
- 6 day trips
- Organised fund-raising events
- Held meetings with young people and parents/carers
- Delivered a health and well-being project commissioned by Sandwell Can Do
- Facilitated consultation with young people
- Worked in partnership with young people to set up the Deaf Zone youth club at the Lighthouse young people centre in Aston
- Set up a Youth Forum
- Supported a young person to be successful in two funding applications
- Arranged and facilitated the provision of ‘Leadership Training’ which is commencing for youth forum members this Autumn
- Consulted young people about the proposals from a young deaf man who is looking to set up self-defence class for young people at the Lighthouse
- Set up a Ju Jitsu self-defence class delivered by a deaf young man at the Lighthouse
- HI young person volunteering as admin at Deaf World for 16 hours a week
Deaf Zone Youth Club. Meets once a week and open to young people from 11 to 25 at the Lighthouse
Ju Jitsu Self Defence. Classes delivered by a deaf young man (Ju Jitsu Black Belt 1st Dan) every Saturday 2 to 3pm. Cost £1 at the Lighthouse.
Outdoor activity residential. Yearly residential
Leadership training residential. For youth forum members
Please click on the images below to view the flyers
Further evidence of their work can be found on the following links: